Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Nomads

Preparation for today’s buffet began with a lunch time belly dancing session at the Oasis Dance Centre (shout out to Mey Jen!). It’s been a long time since we’ve done this, and I figured I needed some sort of physical conditioning.

Today’s buffet setting was chosen, perhaps unwisely, with the help of a coupon book. Unable to resist a 2-for-1 buffet, we hiked deep into TST to find Nomads, nestled among a bunch of bridal boutiques. The busy kitchen, an integral part of this buffet experience, was on full view to passers-by.



Upon entering the establishment, we were greeted with the appetite-reducing sight of a kitchen staff worker sorting salad with both a gloved and ungloved hand. The buffet spread was meager and a little dull looking. I had to adjust to the fact that what was billed as a ‘Mongolian buffet’ simply meant make your own pizza and noodles, and have some appetizers and dessert while you’re at it.





The décor was halfway interesting, with animal hide lampshades, fur draped chairs and other outbacky touches.





First plate: Unappetizing appetizers. Corn and bean salad, pumpkin, Japanese seaweed salad (can’t remember what this is called), rice ball topped with eel and a tiny preserved octopus doused with sauce - I only took this because it looked cute tucked into its own little bowl.




Second plate: First pizza. Still confused at the decidedly non-Mongolian food, I tentatively took a shot at creating my own pizza. I took a pan from the pizza base stand, and layered on standard pizza fare such as tomatoes, mushrooms and a dash of garlic. Placing the pizza pan and a tag number at the kitchen counter, I retreated back to my table for the wait. Approximately 10 minutes later, a freshly baked pie arrived. Flavours were not bad.




Tiny dessert break: Custard cups with sake (couldn’t taste no sake) and little green tea cheesecake cubes. The cheesecakes tasted a little powdery.

Third plate: Bored already, I decided that the only way to go was to make crrraaaazzy pizzas. My first source of inspiration was to sculpt a pizza likeness of someone I know. Quite a convincing likeness, if I do say so myself. Arguably, it could also be someone you know.


Fourth plate: Garlic madness pizza. I boldly approached the bowl of minced garlic meant only for flavouring and proceeded to heap it on. And they baked that crazy shit.


Stuffed to the hilt with pizza, I had to stop. My partner-in-buffet matched me plate for plate, and maybe more, in noodle bowls.

I wasn’t feeling in the mood for noodly fry-ups, but they seem to be the better choice at this restaurant. There is quite a healthy range of meats and sauces, although nothing particularly interesting for a foodie. At close to $200 per buffet, you should have a serious noodle craving to feast here and feel satisfied.

Alternatively, you might be 5 years old and carrying all sorts of ideas for crrraaazzy pizzas around in your head, but with no outlet. Nomads is for you.

Any ideas to reconcile the pizza and noodles as Mongolian buffet phenomenon greatly appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home