Thursday, July 21, 2005

Kowloon Hotel - Singapore special

Loyal buffetbuff fans, kind readers, I have, in the words of a fellow buffetbuff, buf-failed you all.

We went to a Singapore themed buffet (limited time only, run, run....run away!) in order to test out speciality buffets.

I must admit, dear readers, that I did not prepare properly. I had a late business lunch and my stressful day made my stomach a bit more clenched than usual. However, a panadol was swallowed and I soldiered on.

The Singapore buffet was actually limited to a small kiosk. It offered the delights of laksa (spicy coconut flavoured soup noodles), bak kut teh soup (pork rib bone tea), hainan chicken, satay (beef and chicken), roti, fried squid rings, fried soft shell crab with chili, kwai tiu (fried noodles) and one or two other small dishes.

The other parts of the buffet included a sashimi station, hot foods station, salad station, prime rib carving, dessert section, chocolate fountain and..... it's crowning glory (to me anyways), was the Ben and Jerry's ice cream section. Featuring a total of 6 flavors (including mango, strawberry, chocolate fudge brownie, cookies and cream, coffee coffee buzz buzz buzz and one other I forget).

Well, I had to start somewhere so I had a few satay sticks (a bit too cold and tough for my liking and peanut sauce was disappointing), soft shell crab (very cold and greasy), and a bowl of laksa. The fishcake in the laksa was disappoitingly rubbery, the fried tofu ball average and I opted not to have shrimp due to allergies. The soup, the most important bit, was average. It was not hot enough (do you see a theme here?) and the flavours not punchy enough. This soup is usually so rich and flavourful you still feel it after a mouthful. Hmmm, not a good start. I also tried the famous and usually delicious bak kut teh...it tasted like it came from a mix. I then moved on to a tiny selection of hot dishes, including a small slice of prime rib (too tough), a stuffed pasta shell (had shrimp so could not have but one bite), curry potatoes (acceptable) and sweet and spicy beancurd (mushy). I didn't finish any of it. I was starting to lag behind quite significantly and my fellow buffetbuff started the merciless mocking of my small (and shrinking appetite). (Although the lack of photos in this blog is her fault, I'd like to point out!)

I decided that having an ice cream break may revive my tastebuds. After a small scoop of fudge brownie, I took a plate and attempted to find something else to tempt me. I didn't want to risk seafood as we have been having record breaking hot weather and many people had contracted food poisoning from seafood. Unfortunately I returned to the table in shame, with a tiny piece of chicken and chutney and 2 tablespoons of soup. I was subjected to more mockery.

I decided on more ice cream. Then half a bowl of noodles, then fruit and finally, a smidge of cheese. I was done.

Total cost? HKD$268 with 20% off (only way it could attract people, I'm sure)

Total cost of food eaten? No more than HK$50 -

Verdict? Pass unless you're desperate.

All I can say is that I hope very much I win the lucky draw to Singapore. I am sure the food is much better than this...

Have no fear buffetbuffs, I am sure to rally back with significant portions at our next buffet next week! Stay tuned....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home